Tuesday, August 9, 2011

White on the Cover

Not just one excellent article about how non-white characters somehow mysteriously become white on the covers of books, but two. I remember when I was a kid reading books with Drizzt Do'Urden I was always perplexed about this, because here you had these books where the whole point, repeated over and over, was that the character's black skin marked him unfairly as an outcast and an enemy when he was actually a pretty groovy guy, but on the cover you have a dude who is egregiously white.

2 comments:

  1. Holy shit! That's Drizzt? Hahaha. Wow. I only began reading Salvatore about five years ago, so I guess I missed all the early racist covers. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not even that long ago either! I read that book in the 90s and that was the cover that came on it.

    ReplyDelete