Tuesday, March 13, 2012

On Consistent Production

Alright, I don't talk much about my personal life on this blog. This is a conscious decision I've made both because I tend toward being a bit more of a private person generally, and also because I don't generally think you all would be terribly interested in hearing about the minutia of my life.

Today I bring it up because I tend to be one of those people who says, listen, if you don't make time for writing, it just won't happen. And generally I believe that's true.

I've got two weeks coming up where I don't think I'm going to get any writing done at all. At my physical, paying job I am scheduled this week for 60 hours of work, 50 of it in situations where it's unlikely I will get any significant breaks. After that I'm going to spend a week playing host to a visitor who's very important to me. I don't anticipate getting a lot done either of those weeks.

And I think that's okay.

For one thing, I intend to make it up. I'm below my goals for the whole year, but not as far behind as I was this time last year. It's a process.

But I also think that the time you spend writing isn't a zero-sum game. Obviously the time you spend doing something that isn't writing is time when you can't write, but the other side of that is that you need to have something to write about and you need to have the energy to write. You can't just treat it like a grindstone, and you certainly can't let it become something you resent. Life is beautiful and sometimes you've got to step out and grab a couple fistfuls of inspiration; learn something and come back to your writing bringing greater insight and experience with you. Can't grow as a writer without growing as a person, basically.

Which is not to justify not ever writing, if you're one of those people I need to restate that for. But it is to say if it's all you do, it's going to suffer for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment