Monday, April 23, 2012

Happy International Pixel-Stained Techno-Peasant Wretches Day!

It's a thing. Really.

Personally, I'm torn on this one. Writers certainly have the right to be compensated for the their creative work, and market economics do dictate it's much harder to sell a thing next to someone else who's giving it away for free. On the other hand, as a reader, I love free fiction, and as a writer who hopes to reach a number of people, I like the breadth of audience you can get in exchange for not making money. So I guess I come down on the side of it being the author's individual prerogative to dictate the cost of their work, within a considered strategy for their own best career advancement. I don't think people should feel pressured, ideally, to give away things they worked hard on and feel are worth material compensation. There's no shame in that. But I also don't think they deserve to be called names for trying to reach an audience in a crowded market.

You do your best, you know?

Also, I've started putting up free stories here that are on permanent archive elsewhere. Because, really, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment