Thursday, December 23, 2010

Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small, was singing! Without any presents at all!

A lot of people assume because I'm a single, atheist, anti-consumerist type person, that I'm going to hate Christmas. And it is true, I kind of fit a profile. But I don't just not hate Christmas, I really love it. I love all the goofy old songs, and the crazy light displays, and the gingerbread and turkey with cranberry sauce. I love getting together with my giant family. We all get along well. I have parents who love me and nephews whom I can spoil. It doesn't mean anything to me in a religious sense, but I enjoy the feeling of togetherness and tradition you really only get around the holidays. Everybody on the street knows the words to the same songs you're singing, and all the adults are winking and telling wild stories about flying reindeer and an obese anti-burglar who somehow still fits down your chimney. It's full of this whimsical collective make believe you hardly ever get as a grown up, and all around are these reminders not to take things for granted and to work to make the world a slightly better place. Things get a little hectic, but all that stress pays off in smiles from your friends and time off work.

So Merry Christmas out there, or whatever your celebrate! And if you don't celebrate, do something to make the week special. 'Tis the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment