Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Year In Rejections

So far this year I have twenty-four rejections.

This isn't a pity party (if anything, I feel this is too few rejections, because it means I have not been submitting more), I bring this up because I've been speaking to a number of writers who are fretting about the sting of rejection. Really, it's not that bad, and the more you do it, the easier it gets. Also, it's not like these guys have terrible fangs on them. As an illustrative example, I've collected my rejection letters for a year. I've taken the names and the stories out of the letters because that's not really what this post is about.

Seriously, new writers. It's not as bad as you're worried it is.

So, here you go: My Year in Rejections.

Edited to Add: I write quick thank you notes for all my rejections, even the form ones, unless the letter specifically says not to. I don't know to what extent this helps, but I figure it couldn't hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Those rejections weren't bad. There were several that were rather encouraging as they liked your story or writing style, the story just didn't fit their needs. That is a very very good sign. When you do send a story that fits their needs, then you will get an acceptance.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was kind of the point, yeah. There are certainly times a story just isn't good enough, but just as often it's just not a good fit, and it doesn't mean you need to give up or freak out.

    I actually got to meet a couple of those editors later at conventions and let them know I'd appreciated the personal feedback in their rejection letters. One of them even said they remembered exactly which story I was talking about.

    ReplyDelete