Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Smart Phone Cryptology

Silent Circle has released an app to encrypt your cell-phone texts and files.

I get into a lot of political talks with people, wherein it's very often framed entirely in a context of trusting the government implicitly, versus trusting the free market implicitly as a panacea to all the world's problems. (I also had one guy put forward trusting God implicitly to take care of all social ills, but I feel like all you can do with that argument point to plagues and starving children and then agree to disagree.)

I tend to come down on the side of not trusting an unregulated market, but I'd like for that not to be misunderstood as not believing that a lot of valuable innovation comes from individuals or small, minimally affiliated groups. I'd also like that not to be taken as blanket trust of the government. We need transparency as a check on government power, and it seems increasingly apparent that that means coming up with ways to protect the people who blow the whistles.

Good on you, Silent Circle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment