Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sense of Place

I don't write about real places much, and I recognize that this is something of a failing.

Even in the places I've actually lived, I sort of feel like I'd be giving a tourist-eye view of a place, or dropping names just to sound cool. I'm not really sure how people do it as a regular thing.

It's one of the challenges I'm trying to take on for myself with this story I'm currently working on. I've recently moved to a new city. It's got a dialect different from what I'm used to, pretty singular architecture and local industry, and recognizable, named places all throughout it.

This is a skill I feel I should have, and nothing bestows a skill like a few hearty rounds of trying and failing repeatedly by smaller increments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment