Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Forbidden Poetry of Afghanistan

I feel like I should comment on this article, maybe about how it's a piece by a young-ish white Princeton graduate about the beautiful struggles of Afghani women, maybe something about the long dense history of islamic poetry that frankly I'm not qualified to speak on, maybe about the subjectivity of poetry and the perils of translation. I dunno. It's easy to get into an epistemological tailspin about how much we can really understand, how representative a small sample is, how much was correctly translated to this reporter, how much was held back, what biases are brought to the table. Considering stuff I've naively put forward in the past, I tend to get a little gunshy when I don't have as much personal knowledge to back a subject up. But I liked this article. I think it's worth passing on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment